Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I wasn't always fat

Growing up I didn't struggle with my weight at all, except 5th grade.  In 5th grade I was a little pudgy, but I quickly outgrew that stage and didn't have other issues until after I had my first son.  If you had told me 16 years ago that I would become morbidly obese, I would have laughed.  I was even a firefighter (volunteer position) for a couple years.  I was proud of how in shape I was and how strong I was.  I was 125 lbs when I got preg.  I was 20.

Then came the baby by c-section, surgery to repair damage by baby, then excuses, excuses, excuses....
I lost a bunch (around 40-50 lbs) of the weight when Kris was 2.  Didn't stay off long before I started gaining it back.  Lost about 28 in 1999 just by giving up sodas.  Then I got preg. again.  New baby, c-section, excuses, excuses excuses.  Moved to Germany in 2001.  There came Germany chocolate and pastries.  Yummy.  More pounds packed on.  Husband deployed=weight gain X 5 deployments and multiple field exercise= one big unhappy Robin.  I then fell down a flight of stairs, broke my tailbone, injured my hip and back.  From there came more excuses.  It became too painful to walk let alone exercise.  Just got bigger and bigger.

I tried weight loss diets.  Did slim fast (found out I have lactose problems).  Atkins caused a 'backup' in my plumbing ;).  Counting calories didn't work for me.  I don't eat enough most days and had to force myself to eat enough calories.  I gained weight by not eating enough and not making the right choices when I do.  I have tried to just limit portions the last few months and have started working again and have lost 10 lbs since April.  I have over 120 more to go.

I am not trying to make more excuses.  I know the fault is mine.  I didn't "catch a virus and get fat".  I got fat because I didn't take care of myself and what I ate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment